Senator David (Dave) Craven represents Anson, Montgomery, Randolph, Richmond, and Union counties in District 29. He was elected in 2020 and is the youngest member of the North Carolina Senate. He currently serves on the following Senate Committees: Agriculture, Energy, and Environment; Appropriations on Agriculture, Natural, and Economic Resources (Chairman); Commerce and Insurance (Chairman); Education/High Education; Finance; and Transportation. He is also a member of the Joint Legislative Commission on Government Operations, Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Information Technology, Joint Legislative Economic Development and Global Engagement Oversight Committee, Joint Legislative Commission on Energy Policy, and the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on North Carolina State Lottery.
A native of Randolph County, Senator Craven serves as the Senior Vice President at Fidelity Bank focusing on business development. He attended the University of North Carolina at Charlotte where he was elected Student Body President and served on the Board of Trustees. He graduated with degrees in Accounting, Finance, and Political Science. As an active member of his community and state, Senator Craven was appointed to the board of directors for the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina in 2016 by the Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives.
In addition to his career in banking, Dave has been honored to serve on the:
- Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina since 2016 when he was appointed as the youngest board member by the NC Speaker of the House, Tim Moore. He and his fellow board members were tasked with overseeing a $24 million-dollar budget that promotes tourism and actively attracts new business and industry to North Carolina while assisting existing industry in their expansion efforts.
- Randolph County Republican Party as Treasurer, Vice Chair, and most recently Chairman. Some of his favorite events from serving over the last decade include the annual Fish Fry at the home of Richard Petty, and the annual Lincoln Day Dinner, where keynote speakers Craven brought in have included Eric and Laura Trump, former U.S. Representative Trey Gowdy, and U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham, among many other distinguishable public servants.
- Randolph County Economic Development Corporation as Treasurer, Vice Chair, and most recently Chairman. He was tasked with recruiting business and industry to the county and assisting business owners with jobs and capital expansion projects.
- Asheboro Rotary Club as the immediate past President. During his time, Dave was fortunate enough to travel to Hamburg, Germany in June 2019 for the Rotary International Convention where he met countless dedicated Rotarians from around the globe committed to creating lasting change in our communities.
Dave has also dedicated much of his time to numerous boards in his community including:
- Raising funds to provide employee project scholarships while serving on the Randolph Friends of the Zoo.
- Serving on the family selection committee for Habitat for Humanity of Randolph County.
- Raising funds to assist in the back pack pals program for Communities in Schools.
- Serving on the Randolph County Tax Commission and ensuring that appeals to the tax department were reviewed and amended as needed.